Sunday, February 11, 2007

I could cry......

Sooo, I have been working on this dress - the Hush, Hush dress from knitty. The weather has been warmer this week, so I have been putting in some rounds - plus it was movie weekend at the sunneshine house - good knitting time! I finished the body decreases during the movie this morning and I was so excited to measure it and try it on. When I held up the dress in the light, I was horrified. THERE IS A HUGE STRIPE IN MY DRESS!! I have been doing this project while watching movies in the dark - the pattern is easy, so there is more movie watching then knitting watching. So being the pack rat that I am, I ran into the other room to consult the cones and see if I missed a lot number and scr@wed up. NO ALL THE LOT NUMBERS - IN FACT ALL THE NUMBERS ON THE TAGS ARE IDENTICAL!! I even had Mr.sunneshine check. I bought this 3/2 pearl cotton from Halcyon - its their yarn, I checked everything when I got it, just in case, but I have never had it happen that the same lots have this much variety - and there was no disclaimer about lot difference, like some yarns do have. I am so disappointed, I could cry. I figure I have about 30 hours in on this project - 280 stitchs to a round, knit on size 2 needles, almost 18" completed so far. My heart is broken - and I specifically bought this yarn because the pattern called for it - so, so bummed. If anyone has any suggestions besides dying it black, please let me know. Right now I am not sure if I will dye it, frog it or something else.... I have written Halcyon, we'll see what they say, I am not optimistic......

update - in an unexpected turn of events Halcyon actually called me today. Unfortunatley for me, I missed the call - but when I do talk to them tomorrow, I will let you know what they tell me! Still can't even look at this project.....

9 comments:

BEESTLYproducts said...

i don't think it's that huge a deal really. more like an artistic difference. i say just wear it with the stripe, it's kinda mod.

The Three C's said...

i would be SO upset if i were (actually able to knit something that gorgeous and that were to happen to me) you...

you could also tea-dye it.... so it gets a slight dye but not a black dye.. .y'know?

dont worry, i still think it rocks pretty hard!

GirlyWithATwist said...

I think its lovely even with the stripe. I might actually have to make one of them. I think the hubby would like it as well. :)

a friend to knit with said...

I am so sorry.......I know how you feel, but i am with knitxcore on this one.......it looks like maybe you wanted a stripe...:) Either leave it or dye it.....too beautiful to be frogged!

KatnZoey said...

that would be pretty upsetting, especially if u had made a big blankie, and didnt realize till u were almost finished, but honestly, that skirt kicks ass, either way its hot :)

Zenknitter LesleyD said...

Whatever you do, DON'T FROG IT!!! You have spent way too much time on it! It is beautiful and I like the strip but I feel you pain! I agree with Col try to tea dye it! That may change the difference in the strip color. I would make it a suttle dye job just to change the hues. Don't fret! DONT FROG! Big hugs to you!!!!

stashmaster said...

Wow, I haven't seen this before.. I am inclined to belive that Halcyon owes you some yarn or $$. I worked for a wholesale yarn company and they would be very upset if ball bands were not accurate.

About the stripe: personally, if it bugged me and it was a garment for me and the yarn could handle the wear, I would tear it out and reknit it. (I would knit every other row with the two balls of yarn.) I know myself too well to think that my eye wouldn't go right to it.

But, that being said, I had to look at the picture twice to see what the problem was. It looks deliberate to me - like a subtle design element in a large stockinette area. I like the stripe, myself..

Sabrina Hirsch said...

Oh that is so sad, I have never had that happened. but it is still so beautiful, you can not frog it, what does it look like on? And what about dyeing it a different color, purple? My condolences.

Jess said...

Oh, how terrible! All that work put into it and now you're going to have to rip it back or dye it or something.

I hope Halcyon comes through for you.