Monday, April 30, 2007

Barbie Revealed...






Okay, so I was hoping to have more info before I posted this, but I don't - so there will be more info to follow!
The Rocky Mountain News, which is one of the two big newspapers in Denver, chose 10 designers/stores/hair stylists to dress Barbie in their version of spring fashion. There is some kind of voting/judging the dolls that happens online, so when I know I will pass the link along - plus there will be good professional photos of her. I did my doll with my hairstylist, Andre, who I love!! Andre went through 6 Barbies to get her hair to do this!! In my opinion it was worth it...
Making clothes for Barbie is much harder then it appears, in my opinion. Her little sweater is knit out of cotton that was about the weight of thread doubled up on size 1 needles (see the first pix of in process Barbie knitting). I had patterns to go by kinda - most of the online patterns that I saw used worsted or sport weight yarn on size 4-6 needles, but they didn't give me the look, so I had to wing it a bit. Her dress has a cotton bamboo knit underpinning with nylon laced through the top to keep it up. Then the tulle yarn and the tulle sheets were added to give it an ethereal look. Knitting needles helped to get the balloon on her skirt just right (knew those vintage plastic needles were great for something...) Jump rings were used for her earrings, and bangles. And of course there had to be a skull somewhere, so I used her bag to toughen up her outfit!! Unfortunatly, I don't get her back - that is back to the judging/voting thing that I don't understand... However, there are several other starts on clothes that I abandoned due to the time constraints (I had 5 days), and a fashion doll and two Barbies still undressed in cool clothes, so there may be some more fun Barbie fashions coming out of chez sunneshine - and maybe even a blog contest to win one...hmmm...
But until then, the link for Barbie voting will be posted here as soon as I get it. And silly as it is, I really want my Barbie to win!!

Happy Knitting!!

10 comments:

roxtarc said...

yeah you just honestly could not BE any cooler! hahah...i LOVE your barbie... she's HOT & i'm soooo excited to vote for ya !!! heheh

;)

a friend to knit with said...

I want your barbie to win too! She totally rocks! That bag is the perfect touch!

elizabeth marley said...

wow, that looks so cool!

Zenknitter LesleyD said...

I absolutely love it!!! too cool!! I hope ya'll win!!!

Beth said...

Your Barbie is too cool to care if she wins. She is hot! I can't wait until voting starts. Be sure to let us know.

Stephermay said...

I want to make that bag in human-size! The detail on the outfit is amazing.. I'm in awe...

Kate said...

love it!

BEESTLYproducts said...

ily! that's amazing!

Obsidian Kitten said...

oh, she is awesome--from her hair (how fab!) down to her lacy leggings (omg, i think i had a pair like those) and the skully on her purse. i'm totally rooting for your uberBARBie--can't wait to vote for her!

amazing job on the teeny sweater, too.

verasunshyne said...

awesome - love it!